What is a Governance Member?
Governance Members are a select group of individuals who share an affinity with the work of YMCA, it’s Christian faith and ethos.
By becoming a Governance Member for YMCA Black Country Group, you can support, enable and represent our services and programmes amongst your network, helping us transform communities. YMCA Black Country Group gives a local voice, by speaking with government, key policy makers and national media this allows us to advocate for the needs of the most vulnerable young people.
You can seek to develop and promote the growth and the quality of YMCA’s work by encouraging high standards, sharing best practice, and supporting fundraising and new projects.
An important role of Governance members is to ensure the organisation remains faithful to its Christian foundation and charitable purposes. Governance members do this primarily by:
- holding the Board to account at each Annual General Meeting (and perhaps less formally through conversations during the year)
- appointing new trustee directors to the Board each year
Being a Governance Member is a rewarding experience, you will get to work within a diverse team, supporting an important cause whilst being in a group of like-minded people. Our Board has a diverse range of experience and knowledge and support each other in decision making and learning.
What's in it for you?
- Contribute to a great cause
- Influence and network at a local, national and global level
- Give expression to your Christian faith
- Gain experience within a friendly, well-connected Board of Trustees
- Receive training and development support
- Regular updates from YMCA projects
- Invitation to events and celebrations
- Opportunities to have guided tours around Community Hubs and project buildings
Expression of Interest
If you think you could offer a valuable contribution to YMCA and would like to apply to become a Governance Member, please complete the form below